We compiled provisions laid out by the Dubai Land Department for tenant rights and obligations The most important thing for both parties to remember is that where a tenancy contract is valid, it may not be unilaterally terminated during its term by the landlord or the tenant. It can only be terminated by mutual consent or in accordance with the provisions of this law (RERA Law 26 and amendments of Law 33).
- The landlord should not give you a home that is in a bad condition.
- The landlord should not make you responsible for maintenance.
- The landlord may not make any changes to the property or any of its amenities or annexes that would prevent the tenant from full use of the property as intended.
- The landlord cannot threaten to withhold security deposit.
- The landlord is prohibited from disconnecting services to the property or preventing the tenant from benefiting from the property without notice.
- Rent increase for contract renewal is only allowed as per the RERA rental brackets as seen on the RERA website for different areas and types of properties.
- The tenant must pay agreed-upon rent on due dates and maintain the property in such a manner as any ordinary individuals would maintain their own property.
- The tenant cannot make changes to the property without getting permission from the landlord, and subsequently getting approval from competent authorities.
- The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit which the landlord agrees to return or refund upon mutually agreed termination or expiry of tenancy.
- Upon the expiry of the tenancy contract, the tenant must surrender possession of the property to the landlord in the same condition in which he or she received it at the time of entering into the contract, except for ordinary wear and tear, or for damage due to reasons beyond the tenant’s control.
- Unless stated otherwise in the contract, the tenant must pay all fees and taxes due to government authorities for use of the property as well as any fees or taxes prescribed for any sub-lease.
- Unless otherwise agreed by the parties, upon vacating and surrendering possession of the property, the tenant may not remove any leasehold improvements made by the tenant.
- Unless otherwise agreed by the parties, the tenant may not assign the use of or sub-lease the property to third parties without the written consent of the landlord.